Love Apple Cider Donuts but don't want to go through the steps to make them? This Apple Cider Donut Cake is the answer! It has all the flavor of our favorite seasonal treat, but made as a super easy snack cake.
- 1-1/2 cups fresh apple cider
- 4 tablespoons (66 grams) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (70 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (70 grams) light olive oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1/4 cup (66 grams) sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (if using fine sea salt use half by volume)
- 1-3/4 cups (210 grams) cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, at cool room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter (or spray with oil) a 9” square baking dish line it with a a piece of parchment paper long enough to hang over the sides to create a sling.
- In a large saute pan, boil the apple cider until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Measure to ensure it is ¾ cup. Add the butter to the hot cider, and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, sour cream, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Slowly whisk the boiled cider into the wet mixture.
- Stir in the flour to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven until the cake is puffed, golden and baked through the middle, about 22-25 minutes.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Place the butter on top of the cake, and brush it around as it melts
- In a small bowl, mix together ¼ cup of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture liberally over the buttered surface.
- Remove the cake from the pan, and let it cool on the rack.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly before cutting it into squares.
Weighing your flour is the most accurate way to measure. If you aren't going to weigh it, make sure to spoon it into the cup, and then level it off. If you scoop the flour out with the measuring cup and then level, it could change the outcome of the final product.
Use only fresh apple cider, the unfiltered juice made from whole apples found in the refrigerated section. Do not use "apple juice" and do not use apple cider vinegar.
If the cider boils down below the 3/4 cup level, simply add more cider. If it doesn't reduce enough, put it back on the heat.
Store leftover cake it in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days.
Keywords: Apple Cider Donut Cake