Creamy, tangy and a cinch to make, this Simple Coleslaw with Dill is the perfect side to serve at your next backyard barbeque.
Admittedly, I am a cole slaw fanatic. I mean, what's not to love? It's a creamy salad with tons of crunch and flavor. This recipe is my favorite version, which is heavy on the dill.
This classic barbeque side dish is versatile because it goes with so many main dishes, and it's an easy option because it can be made ahead of time.
This simple slaw has a few unique twists including the use of greek yogurt, pickle brine, and of course the addition of fresh dill. It helps result in a perfectly balanced, creamy slaw that everyone is going to love.
So let's get to making it! The text below offers some tips for making it, or you can scroll down to the bottom for the complete recipe.
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
Here is a brief overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. The full recipe with quantities is listed below this text in the recipe card. If substitutions are available for this recipe, they'll be listed here. If you don't see a substitution you are looking for, please leave a comment below.
- cabbage + carrots
- greek yogurt (this recipe uses both yogurt and mayo to add an additional flavor element and make it feel a little bit lighter--but you could omit the greek yogurt and just use mayo if desired)
- sweet pickle juice (this refers to the liquid that is in the pickle jar and it adds such a fun element to the dish because it introduces a subtle flavor component and sweetness to the salad, but it can be omitted if…check the notes of this recipe to see how)
- fresh dill (you can use dried dill, but in this case, fresh is really preferred)
- white vinegar
- green onion
Storage and Leftover Tips
As stated above, cole slaw is one of those dishes that improves the next day (or sometimes even on the 3rd day!) so feel free to make this dish a day ahead of time if you are planning to bring it to a BBQ or potluck.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. And it makes great leftovers for lunch the next day!
More Recipes for Side Dishes
- Creamy Macaroni Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Balsamic Roasted Green Beans
- Cumin and Honey Roasted Carrots
Making the recipe? Be sure to leave a comment with a star review on your experience! Have a question? Leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you as quickly as I can!Print
Simple Coleslaw with Dill
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup sweet pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ head green or purple cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup chopped dill
- Add greek yogurt, mayo, pickle juice, vinegar, and spices to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add in the shredded cabbage, carrots, green onions and dill and toss together. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, or white vinegar as needed.
Leave a Reply